Monday, June 28, 2010

A magical experience


I took this photo while standing on top of an old, ruined temple in the countryside in Cambodia. The sunset was spectacular, and we could see across a really wide area of jungle. The sound of the insects was very mysterious, almost like some kind of machine. They must have been a similar creature to cicadas though.

Angkor Wat was very near this place too. If you have a chance, I really recommend you go there. There is a strange sense of something "special" as you approach it. It's hard to describe, but you might feel how wonderful the Khmer culture must have been. The Khmers came from present day Cambodia, but ruled a huge Asian empire from about 900 A.D.- 1400. The stone walls of Angkor Wat are decorated with countless carvings showing events from the daily lives of the people.

2 comments:

  1. First of all, I was surprised by your new page. It is very colorful and nice decorated. I think you have a very good sence!! I like it!!

    If I go to foreign countries, I want to experience various things. For example, To see scenery like this photo. So I try to master English for it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful scenery! I haven't seen scch a wonderful gradation. I haven't been to other Asian countries, so in the future I want to travel around Asia.

    ReplyDelete