Thursday, October 14, 2010

Communication in a high tech world


As we all know, people (particularly in developed countries) have access to amazingly sophisticated technology nowadays. It is certainly true that this gives us the ability to communicate faster and in more ways than ever before. But what use are people making of this technology? Are people communicating more, and leading happier lives as a result?

Of course there is no one simple answer to this question. My friend Dale (we were on our way to a concert at Zepp Osaka in the photo) loves to go out and has many friends, but he also makes notes about his experiences and writes about them on his blog. He uses technology to enrich his (already enjoyable) life. Can we always say the same thing about other people? My friends and I sometimes comment about seeing a few (usually Japanese) people sitting together somewhere for a long time, all of them using their keitais, and never talking. It looks like a strange situation, in our opinions. Is technology making people less interested in talking? In the past families used to sit together and watch TV, so even if they didn't talk very much, at least they were sharing an experience. Now kids go to their rooms and use their various high tech devices alone. Could technology become more of a problem than a help to communication? What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. I don't like communicating by using technology. I love to talk face to face. I have started to live alone since this April, I realize that the importance of my family's existence. My parents worried when my face was sad. I think it can because we meet and comunicate. Mailing is very useful, but we can't see friend's face. It can sometimes causes problem. We have to think "communication" more, I think.

    My father will buy me a new ipod for my birthday! I'm really happy!(^^)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you.
    I hate the people using keitai into train and bus. But perhaps I may be one of their... I must brace myself for doing.

    I think kids should communicate without technology and go to park near their house with friends!!

    ReplyDelete